Makes 4 – 6 servings
Tags: soup, tomato, avocado, chicken – pieces, cheese, tortilla
NOTES: A real favorite of Natha’s – one of those dishes that we wonder why we don’t make more often.
- Filling, fun with all those add-ins and delicious.
- The part that requires the most work is the preparation of the chile. To make it easier, follow his notes. We use powdered chile that we had on hand. You can also leave out the chile.
- In Mexico, often you are served the broth with the chicken in it and individual bowls of chopped avocado, cheese, tortilla chips, crema and cut limes are passed for each person to add what they would like and the amount they would like. Sometimes as he says if no chile was added to the broth there is also a bowl of dried chile for those that would like it spicier.
- You can make this a vegetarian dish if you substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and eliminate adding the shredded chicken.
- No calorie count because it really depends on how much of which add-ins you put in the soup.
- The recipe asks for a sprig of epazote if you have it. Great if you have it but if not, it is still delicious. Although not quite the same you could substitute with oregano and/or cilantro.
For cooking instructions click below: